Thursday, January 23, 2014

Dr. Baio interviews "The People's Champ" Luis Collazo


 

On January 30, 2014, three days before the Super Bowl, Barclays Center will be hosting it’s own Super Bowl. A Super Bowl of boxing, featuring one of Brooklyn bright boxing stars, Luis Collazo, vs Vicious as he calls himself, or infamous as I will refer to him, Victor Ortiz.

 

Once again Victor is being put in a position where a win for him will guarantee him a major fight, as Victor was destined to be the next De La Hoya in the Golden Boy stable of fighters. Victor has shown in his four loses that when the going gets tough he either gives up or tries to get DQ’d.

 

In front of him will be a crafty veteran of the ring in Luis Collazo. Luis has been in big fights vs some of the best of our times. Luis held his own Vs Shane Mosley, Ricky Hatton and Andre Berto. Guys that were all in their prime and some, including myself, think Collazo actual did enough to win vs Hatton and Berto.

 

That being said I see this clash at Barclays as a winner takes all loser goes home fight. Ortiz is coming of a loss to Josesito Lopez, a fight Ortiz was winning till he had a mental laps and Lopez broke Victors jaw. Luis is just climbing back to the top after a shoulder injury and lose to Freddy Hernandez in 2011. This will be Victors 1st fight back in a year and half. He’s been recovering from mandibular surgery and a boxing hiatus so he could film a few movies. Luis has been on a roll with 3 victories, 1 by TKO, and he won the “WBA International Welterweight championship” in his last bout.

 

All that being said, I got a chance to speak with the man they call “The Peoples Champ”, Luis Collazo.

 

Dr. B:

On January 31, you will be taking to the ring in Barlcays for the third time. Do you consider it you home arena now?

 

LC:

Absolutely being from Brooklyn n fighting there is amazing. Get to fight in front of my home town. I love it.

 

Dr. B:

You'll be facing Victor Ortiz on that night. Who do you think will have more pressure on them coming into this fight? You because you’re fighting in Brooklyn or Victor because he needs to prove he has heart.

 

LC:

It won’t be me, I’m the underdog, LOL. Hey I’m just enjoying every moment having fun come fight night just going to give the fans a great night of boxing. It’s on him if he has to prove something. I’m good!

 

Dr. B:

I know you’re coming off of a shoulder injury back in October 2011 when you injured yourself vs Freddy Hernandez. How has it healed?

 

LC:

Yea, well its part of the Sport things happen. Rehab went Well Then kept working on it with my strength conditioning guy Scooter Honig, he’s a genius when it comes to getting you in shape n rehabbing any part of your body. He’s good at what he does.

 

Dr. B:

We know Victor likes to use pressure. Will you be able to fire back vs him or will this be a boxer vs puncher type of match up?

 

LC:

Well we will find out fight Night how it’s going to happen. I don’t have a problem doing either.

 

Dr. B:

We all know Victor has the ability to have mental lapses in the ring. He's shown it in each of his four loses including Mayweather,

Lopez and Maidana. Are you ready for his rough tactics?

LC:

I’m ready for the whole 9 yards. I’m all in ready to Rock!!

 

Dr. B:

In Ortiz's last fight he broke his jaw vs Josesito Lopez and needed to have it rebroken because it wasn't healing correctly. Will his chin be something you focus on?

 

LC:

Well I’m going to be focus on every legal spot I can hit doesn’t matter.

 

Dr. B:

Lastly, where or who would you like a win vs Ortiz to lead to?

 

LC:

To be honest my main focus is Ortiz. I don’t care about the next fight. This is the most important fight right now. I don’t care about the future fights

No comments:

Post a Comment