Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Dr Baio interviews Boxing's new rising star Junior "Sugar Boy" Younan



On January 31 Junior “Sugar Boy” Younan will take to the square ring for the first time in 2014 and the 3rd time professionally.  Sugar Boy, who started his pro-boxing career at the tail end of 2013 has collected two TKO victories to his name and I am sure he will look to impress once again on January 31 at the
Richard J. Codey Arena in West Orange, New Jersey. This fight will also mark his first TV appearance, as he will be show cased on “ESPN Friday Night Fights“.

There is a lot of hype around this young super middle weight and there is a reason for that. Having been groomed for stardom from a young age by his father Sherif Younan, former Paulie Malignaggi trainer and current trainer to 8-0 light heavyweight and former Olympian Marcus Browne, Junior has honed his skills in the gyms of New York.

Junior has been sparring with the best from 140-200 + for years working with guys like Paulie Malignaggi, Curtis Stevens, Marcus Browne and Monte Barrett. He has a slick combination of power and allusiveness. Some compare him to Andre Ward or even a young Roy Jones Jr. Either way I’m looking forward to seeing this kid perform for years to come.

I caught up with him as he was preparing for training and got to ask him a few quick questions.

Dr. B:

As you go into your third pro fight, do you have any regrets of not waiting to fight in 2014 golden gloves or 2016 Olympics?


Jr:

No, I don’t have any regrets. I'm more than happy with the position in in at this point.


Dr. B:

You’re currently fighting at 168. I know you've trained at a weight just over 200 lbs. Do you see 168 as the best possible weight class for you right now?


Jr:

I'm very comfortable at 168 so if there will be a move it'll be very far from now.

 

Dr. B:

Would you go down to 160 or up to 178?

 

Jr:

Most likely up to 175.
 
Dr. B:
Josh Dubin has called you the next, “ Andre Ward”. Do see this?

Jr:

It was actually my manager J. Prince that said that when he flew to New York to watch me spar for the first time. Those are very big shoes to fill. I do believe I can reach those heights though.

Dr. B:

I know 2014 just started, but where do you see yourself by the end of the year?

 

Jr:

Prospect of the year God willing. I'm going to stay focused on what I have to do and 2014 will definitely be bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment